Wednesday, July 16, 2008

hiking, ruins, and clinics in Peru

How can I sum up 10 days of adventure and experiences??? Well I am not going to try, but I will give you a few highlights and fun photos.
Peru was wonderful. I can honestly say that I saw some places in Peru that no regular tourist has seen. We set up clinics in these little villages to serve people that rarely get medical care. So sad, but I loved getting the opportunity to try and help.


After 3 hours on winding dirt roads, we hit Sullemayo up at 14,000 feet. Gorgeous surroundings and beautiful people.


A family eating dinner before the long walk home.


Some of our patients had too far to walk, so they were picked up in a dump truck!?!?


A school out in the middle of nowhere was our clinic for the day.


Isn't she adorable!


Organic barbed wire fences to keep the animals in, and thieves out...


Peru's national flower at the ruins of Pisac


Of course we had a couple of down days to be tourists. We got to Macchu Picchu for sunrise. Gorgeous! It was green and just breathtaking.


Another view. I actually did some hiking there too. Fantastic!


Me at Sacsaywaman ruins - that's right, it sounds like "sexy woman", and that is the reason for the pose :)

What great memories!

10 comments:

crystal said...

You sure ARE a sacsay waman! Woot.

And seriously? Macchu Picchu? LUCKY! I was floored to see that Peruvians actually DO wear that awesomely colorful clothing; I thought those were just for Nat'l Geographic.

What an amazing experience, Kristin!

Cam said...

Sounds like a GREAT time. I missed out. You took some beautiful pictures. I can't believe that is what they really wear, I thought the small small world ride at Disney Land was just exaggerating. Apparently not. So cool! Glad you had a good trip.

Karen said...

You are such a wonderful person! I bet that experience was life altering. There's nothing as humbling as traveling out of our technically crazy lifestyle to a place where people have nothing! I am so proud of you. You make the world (and mine) a better place! XOXO

Todd and Meisha said...

WOW, I felt humbled just reading your blog! What a wonderful experience you got to have. The land is beautiful, and so are the people. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

We are so jealous that you got to experience Peru. We didn't know you were going-- our neighbor is Keith Johnson. Also Michelle Bohn and Kim Choate are our friends from our neighborhood, did you get to meet them? One day in my next life I will be able to have as many wonderful experiences as you do! You're Awesome!

The Bingham's said...

That is awesome. I want to hear more!! I know you really made a difference in their lives. You are amazing to give your time and knowledge to help those how really need it. You're an amazing women and I am glad to call you my friend!! Miss ya tons.

rebecca said...

I'm so proud to call you a friend! What an awesome opportunity to do this!! Those pictures are AMAZING!!!! Who gets pictures in front of those kinds of places??????

megan said...

Wow!! What a cool experience!! Those were some pretty amazing pictures too!!

Bee Happy Stamper said...

Okay--so many things to say. How cute was your Grandpa? Wayne was born in Idaho Falls, his mom grew up in the Shelley Firth Area and he has an uncle who still lives in Blackfoot. I'll bet he knew your Grandpa. Someday I want to go climbing with you. I feel like I have a goal in life now, it's to be fit enough to keep up! Finally, what an awesome Peru adventure, must have felt great to be a part of such an awesome thing.
You truly party like a ROCKSTAR!! Just click on my name and find my blog!

Michelle said...

You are amazing! Love the pictures and hearing your stories.