Saturday, June 14, 2008

Crazy, terrifying, and fun?!?!?

So last Saturday, my friend Andy and I embarked on yet another crazy adventure... that's right, another Big Wall climb. This time in beautiful Yosemite. The 'big wall' means that it takes more than a day to climb the beast, and it takes some advanced skills in some sections. No, we did not make it to the top this time either (aargh!!!), but we got a lot better and did some crazy stuff that ranks at the top of "Most terrifying things I have ever done" list. At least we are improving!?!?
Here are a few of the basics of the adventure:




Look at all the pretty gear! We love our gear, so it will stop us from falling (yea!)


Andy and the haul bag (appropriately named so we can haul up our food, water, sleeping bags...)



Taking a rest, and a snack (yes I am all safe and hooked in). This was a great seat, and check out the gorgeous view behind me. Part of Half Dome!



Me, jugging up a rope like a crazy person! But looking tough.. Yeah!



Andy hanging on the rope for a second. This was the terrifying and horribly difficult part of the climb. Pull yourself up the rope, and then over the ledge.... Twice!!! (the first day, and then came down, which means we had to go up again!!!) Talk about finding out what you are made of! (and bashing my leg in once over the edge too - ouch!)



Me hanging in mid-air under that horrific roof, and so I took a picture entitled "what the heck am I doing here? aaahhhhh!!!"



Andy and I at the highest point in our climb (gorgeous El Capitan in the background)



We actually had a little rock ledge to sleep on this time, instead of the scary port-a-ledge!



Me, just hangin' out.... literally hangin'!

6 comments:

Mikayla said...

That seems so much fun. When I am older I want to go rock climing!! But I would probably somehow happen to fall right off the cliff! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kristin, I thought that the last climb in Utah was impressive, but those pics are amazing!!!!! You are amazing. And tell Andy that I love his model pose. I would buy gear from him

Michelle said...

I'm so glad we got to chat last night. Love the pictures...you are so adventurous and one tough cookie.

crystal said...

Oh sheesh. I'm dizzy. Those trees look VERY far away...

Christine said...

My stomach started to feel like it was on a huge roller coaster looking at those pictures of you. Way to go girl!

rebecca said...

All I can say is WOW!!! Wow, that you actually can do this, wow about the beautiful scenery, and wow, that I have such a cool friend :)