Monday, October 15, 2007

I am safe and happy on the ground once again!


What a fantastic week off! (Well, of course, why wouldn't it be...I wasn't at work!)
But really.... Our first stop was Bryce Canyon National Park. We stayed with a friend who is working as a ranger there. That canyon was gorgeous!!! We only stayed 24 hours, but was able to do a quick hike around the rim, and watch a climbing video on the visitor center's big screen. Cool to have connections!



Then our true adventure began. The whole reason for the trip.... the BIG WALL in Zion National Park.

Andy and I awoke before the crack of dawn, and loaded up all our gear (no small feat. There were 3 bags of stuff and together it probably weighed 100lbs! No joke!) We rode the shuttle with all our stuff. Pretty funny actually, because the only other 6 people on the bus were from Louisiana and were on the self-proclaimed "seeing-not-doing tour" and so we were very entertained by their comments.


Our first challenge was crossing the river. Thankfully the water was low. After putting back on the shoes, we hiked uphill with all this heavy gear to the base of our climb. I tell you, looking up at the climb at that point, I was quite overwhelmed. After 8 hours of climbing, we made it to our sleeping ledge. What a long day! There was a little ledge, kinda like a bench. Must say that it was quite a relief to sit instead of hang by my harness. Wait, I must also say that Andy made me the best belay seat ever! I will never do big wall climbs without it! :)

So, it was time to eat dinner (oh, did someone bring utensils?), bundle up against the chilly breeze, use the restroom (kind of a challenge!), and get into a bed suspended off the edge of the wall (yikes!). I conveniently waited until it was dark to get onto the port-a-ledge. Why, you ask? So I couldn't see that there was NOTHING BENEATH ME! I must say, it was like a comfortable hammock, with the constant reminder to not move too much. Yes, I did actually sleep, and I did prefer my spot to Andy's small rock ledge.


The second day of climbing brought challenges in route finding. We got a little "lost" and by the time we got back on track, we figured we would not be able to make it to the top by the end of the day. Being the safe people that we are, we decided to rappel down. We made it halfway up, and we did some really cool stuff, but it feels a little anti-climactic not make it to the top.

Shockingly enough, I think I will give this crazy type of adventure one more try. I gotta completely finish one of these climbs!!!!
The next day, I had to hike Angels Landing to actually make it to the top. The view was spectacular.
I also had to show off the battle wounds (the only time I would purposely take a picture of my thigh!). Yeah tough girl!!!!



This is the wall we were climbing. We are actually on the wall. The fact that you can't see us tells you how big this thing is!!! If you can pick out a white or red helmet in the middle-ish.... more power to ya!

13 comments:

Christy said...

congrats Kristen - you are braver than me! I have a heights and a free fall phobia, both would keep my feet firmly on the ground down below! -christy wanlass

rebecca said...

I've been checking your blog everyday... I was a little worried about you, I guess I should have just called now that I think about it :) I'm so glad you got to experience this adventure! You are definitely braver than I am!!!

Glad to see your feet are safely on the ground :)

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! You are amazing!!!! 8 hours of climbing! I dont know what to say and the pic of you sleeping on the wall... well I could hardly imagine! You rock!

Michelle said...

What an adventure! I'm not afraid of heights or anything but I don't think I would have enjoyed your bed for the night. You're awesome and I'm glad you made it home safely.

Elise said...

All I have to say is YOU ROCK!!! Still can't figure out how you get into the bed but you are one brave sister.

crystal said...

I thought you were MIA! Phew, you're safe. The only people I know do this are people I read about IN MAGAZINES. You are crazy and amazing!

And the thigh picture is way too sexy for a family-oriented blog. :)

The Birds said...

You are so brave! I would have never slept like that! I am so afraid of heights!! GOOD JOB!

megan said...

Wow!! Congrats!!! That sleeping bag looks terrifying!! You are amazing! I'm glad that you did it and then posted about it! Fun!

Bea said...

You are amazing!! First of all, I can't believe all the gear you have! And the "wall" is huge... way to go girl! One more thing, the sleeping arrangements were extraordinary. All I can say is unbelievable, amazing, and absolutely extraordinary!

Bea said...

You are amazing!! First of all, I can't believe all the gear you have! And the "wall" is huge... way to go girl! One more thing, the sleeping arrangements were extraordinary. All I can say is unbelievable, amazing, and absolutely extraordinary!

Christine said...

Way to go BIRD! Unbelievable - just looking at the picture of you "smiling" while sleeping on air makes my tummy turn! Love seeing all the pictures - you are just amazing!

Have any of your cousins on the Hanson side of family started blogging yet?

melis said...

You inspire me! Those pictures are awesome!

Jensens said...

Holy cow, Birdo, that's partying like a rock star for sure!